How is MCPAWS responding to COVID-19?
Information on COVID-19 Response at MCPAWS: updated 9/22/2020
As the situation surrounding COVID-19 evolves, I want to take the opportunity to reach out to our visitors, clients, and supporters to keep you informed of adjustments we are making to keep our staff, clients, and community safe and healthy. As this situation develops, please watch your email, and our social media platforms for additional information. First and foremost I want to continue to stress: please stay home if you or a family member is ill, experiencing any degree of symptoms, or has potentially been exposed to the virus. Idaho has now issued a Stay at Home order!
As far as our general operations the following will be implemented immediately:
The MCPAWS Thrift Store is now open for donations and shopping! MCPAWS Thrift Store is open for donations from 9-3 M-F. The store is open Monday – Friday 11am-5pm for shopping. Masks are required! Please do not drop off donations when we are not open. Those who do will be reported for dumping. If you can’t make donation times, please give us a call to make arrangements.
Donations: Please leave donations in the breezeway at the back of the store during store hours Monday-Friday 10-3pm. PLEASE NOTE: We never take large appliances, box TVs, printers, mattresses, box springs, or any items that are dirty, broken, or un-sellable. Please do not leave anything that does not fit inside the covered breezeway.
The MCPAWS Shelter will remain open, but with limitations on public access. We have opened up adoptions to the state of Idaho. We are adopting to out of state adopters on a case by case basis. We will continue to offer as many services as we are able “curbside”! What this means is that when you arrive at the shelter, please stay in your vehicle and call the shelter: (208) 634-3647. We will answer your call in the order it is received and do our very best to assist you.
- High-risk staff members and a limited amount of part-time employees are being asked to stay home.
- If you have donated recently, please note there may be a slight delay on receiving your thank you letter as we are only going to the Post Office once per week. Please stand by!
- Adoption meet and greets will continue on an appointment basis. Please call first (208) 634-3647.
- If you find a stray animal, please call us! We may be able to reunite the lost pet with their owner, without you ever having to bring the animal to the shelter! If the animal does need to come to the shelter, again, call us and we will provide you with further instructions.
- If you need assistance with pet food we can help. Simply call us when you arrive at the shelter and we will bring it out to you while you wait in the car. If you are unable to leave home, we may be able to bring food to you, call us and we will assess those situations on a case by case basis.
The MCPAWS Veterinary Hospital will remain open, but with similar modifications to public access.
- Again, all clients who feel ill or who have family members who are ill, are being asked to stay home. If you experience an emergency with your pet, please call the hospital and arrangements will be made for your pet to receive care.
- High-risk staff members are being asked to stay home.
- If you have an appointment, when you arrive at the hospital, please call us from your car.
- Credit and debit cards are our preferred method during this time, but if necessary we can accept checks and cash.
- If you need to purchase pet food, or have a prescription refilled, please call us and we will take payment for these transactions over the phone. Your supplies will then be labeled and placed in our outer entry way for pickup. We can also make ourselves available to bring these items out to you in your car – simply call us when you arrive (208) 325-4510
- Please be patient with us while we navigate these difficult times. Understandably, we are expecting phone calls. We will do our best to get to you call as quickly as possible, so please keep trying.
These are certainly difficult times! Please rest assured that MCPAWS will continue to be here for pets and pet owners in whatever capacity we are able. Please consider helping us in our efforts in one of the following ways:
- DONATE! I cannot think of a better time to become a monthly donor. Even an amount as $5 or $10 a month can do a lot for us. If you can’t make a monetary donation, please consider donating some supplies from our wish list. You can purchase directly from Amazon to have it shipped to us, you can purchase via phone from McCall Pet Outfitters and we will be happy to pick it up, or you can simply drop supplies off at the shelter at a table that we have set up at the front of the shelter. To make a monetary donation, please visit: https://mcpaws.org/donate/make-a-donation/
- FOSTER! We anticipate adoption rates to plummet. In order to keep our animals happy and healthy, while also maintaining space for incoming animals, please consider fostering a dog or a cat for the next few weeks. We are also developing an emergency foster list, should our community receive the direction to shelter in place. This would necessitate a full evacuation of the shelter. Please let us know if you can commit to housing an animal should we be faced with a full shelter evacuation!
- Shelters all over the country are being faced with similar challenges, so even if you are not currently in the area, reach out to your local shelter or rescue to see if you can offer your assistance by fostering an animal. What a great way to spend some quality time at home – with a furry buddy to keep you company!
- Call us to learn more about fostering (208) 634-3647!
Thank you so much for your support. I take so much comfort in knowing that MCPAWS supporters will help us get through this. Remember the best way to stay healthy is to avoid exposure to the virus! It is my hope that by taking swift and drastic action, we can do our part to stop the spread of this virus. I am confident that we will get through this and things will get better. Please stay safe, take care of yourself, and take care of each other.
Amber Kostoff, Executive Director
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am to 6pm
Sunday: 1:00pm to 6:00pm
By appointment only.
Please call (208) 634-3647 to schedule an appointment!